Friday 20 July 2012

Let the redecorating begin!

I'm so excited, my new Dr Seuss books finally arrived in the mail this morning (at 7:30 in the morning thank you very much Mr Postman) so I can finally get started on redecorating Miss K's bedroom. I spent the past three days making a cartoon sign post for her wall out of coloured paper, and I've taken photos just so I could show it off here.

Ta Daaaa!

I'm pretty proud of this one, and I think that it will really help set the theme. I figured that before I did a big reveal on here, It would be a good idea to show you what her bedroom is now (or what it was when she was three months old, as that is when these photos were taken). 

So when I found out I was pregnant with Miss K, one of the first things I started thinking about was her nursery. Because she was such a little lady in utero and kept her legs crossed at all times, I was never able to get a 100% confirmation that she was indeed a girl, so I needed her room to be gender neutral, but pretty at the same time. I decided on a jungle theme because it could be both masculine and feminine, and it seemed like it would be fairly easy to pull off. Now I can't take any credit for any of the decorations in this room, because it was all done while I was in the hospital giving birth. My little sister very kindly painted the room green for me on the day Miss K was born (as I originally was meant to spend that day painting if I hadn't gone into labour a week early) and my big sister came in a couple of days before I came home and added in the rest of the decor. 

My sister hand cut that entire grass border, and it was long enough to cover two walls with some spare. She also hand made the flowers, butterflies and the sun and clouds. 

The flowers going up the wall were something that mum had lying around which she graciously donated to the cause, and the monkey was originally a gift I bought for my niece a few years ago, and she also kindly gave it back to me so that Miss K could enjoy it. I don't know how the flowers are attached to the wall, but they are attached good and proper and won't budge an inch, trust me I've tested it.

 The stuffed toys suspended to the left of this shot are actually hung from a giant lattice that was already in the room from when it was my little sister's. Sadly I never got a photo of that wall on its own, but all the animals hanging there can be found in the jungle, which is why I picked them. You can't really see it, but in the left corner there is a dark red rocking chair, which I still use to this day for Miss K's midnight feeds. This was originally something my big sister bought when she was pregnant with her first child. She painted and recovered it herself, and even painted and covered a gorgeous toy chest in the same material. I couldn't believe it when she allowed me to borrow it for my baby, and it is by far my favourite piece of furniture in Miss K's bedroom.

This was Miss K's play area back when all of her toys would fit into one plastic crate. These days they spread into three crates, a corner in our lounge room and also a small basket. And yet she would still rather play with grandma's newspaper any day of the week.

So there you have it, Miss K's old bedroom, soon to be replaced with something new and hopefully as gorgeous as this one was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...