Wednesday 16 May 2012

One day I'm gonna be famous

So when I started this blog, I had grand visions of becoming an iconic blogger, possibly one who would be featured on the Ellen DeGeneres show, because she seems to have her finger on the pulse of everything that is cool on the internet. I dreamed of being interviewed for various magazines and newspapers (under the heading sexy mama becomes internet sensation overnight), and being asked to guest blog for other famous bloggers. However, it has now been 3 months since I started this blog, and the cracks are starting to show in my fantasy.

There are several flies in the ointment of my dreams here, the first and biggest one being that it is very hard to get famous without masses of self promotion, which is something I loathe to do. I was always brought up to never big note myself, as modesty was a more attractive feature than arrogance. To date, I haven't even told all of my friends that I have a blog, and although I have added the link to this site on my Facebook page, I did it in my information section, and it tends to disappear after all of my likes and interests, to a part of the page I don't think anyone really ever looks at unless they've forgotten your email address and need to email you a copy of the funniest LOL cat EVER!!!!

The other problem, and this one is the hardest one to overcome is that I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THIS BLOG IS ANY GOOD. One of the problems that comes with the lack of self promotion is that you don't have many people available to give you constructive criticism or tell you where you may have failed with a certain post, joke or pop culture reference. Of course I ask my family to read my posts on regular occasions, and while they are my biggest fans (the compliment I get the most is you're an idiot), I have never been able to fully take their compliments as I can't tell if they're just being nice because I know where they live. My big sister has been the person who prefers to discuss my writing style and content of my blogs with me, and to date she is the best editor I could have asked for. (And no I'm not just saying that so that she'll keep saying nice things to me.) Whenever my posts are starting to become too mopey, or she thinks I'm becoming too distanced from reality, she is the first one to come to me and offer advice.

One thing I really struggle with when writing this blog is I still haven't decided what kind of blog it is. I'm not enough of an expert on anything for this to be an instructional blog, and I've tried to make it a journal style blog, but even I get bored with reading about my own life after a while. If I had the kind of life where Miss K and I did exciting things like explore jungles or travel to the far corners of the earth, then a journal style blog could be very interesting, but given that the highlight of our day yesterday was that my cousin bought her 7 month old daughter over for a visit, and Miss K was terrified of her, then it doesn't make for very compelling reading. I actually spend a lot of time reading other people's blogs and researching interesting topics on the internet just to see if I can find anything that jumps out at me and says DO THIS! but the thing I notice most is that the really popular blogs are several years old, or in some cases established by already famous people who aren't afraid to tell people how wonderful they are, and have legions of fans ready to follow them into the wilderness that is a blank website waiting to be filled with humour or instructions.

So for now it looks like this blog will remain an obscure drop of water in the giant ocean that is the internet. If any of you my wonderful readers feel like taking on some of the promotion for me, then feel free to invite all of your friends to come check me out. Or if there is anything in particular you'd like me to write about, please drop a line in the comments, after all this blog is for my audience so if there are any holes in topics you feel I'd be able to fill, please let me know and I'll do my best to oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...