Wednesday 20 June 2012

I felt the earth move....

Well tonight I literally felt the earth move. For anyone who doesn't live in Victoria, or who hasn't watched the news in the past 3 hours, Victoria was just shaken by a tremor that measured approximately 5.5. Given that the epicentre of the tremor was a mere 16.8km from where I live, things here got a bit shaky. Luckily considering that a massive chunk of Victoria felt the earthquake, even in places up to 120km away from the epicentre, the damage caused by the tremor appears to be minimal. No fatalities and as far as the State Emergency Services website can say, no major structural damage anywhere. Whether everyone had to change their underpants or not straight after has not been advertised anywhere. 

The first thing I did when I realised that it was an earthquake and not a 16 ton truck ploughing into my front yard was run to Miss K's bedroom to make sure she was OK, and I'm not sure if it was the noise of the tremor or the sound of me and mum thundering down the hallway but she woke up with quite a fright, and it took me almost 2 hours to get her back to bed and asleep again. Then her father contacted me to see if everyone was OK and then tried to start an argument with me. His timing has always been wonderful.

On the plus side, tonight's fun did motivate me to finally make back up copies of all of Miss K's photos, which took me 2 hours and 8 CDs to complete, but if the house falls down around my ears tonight, at least I can feel safe in the knowledge that all of my photos are OK.

The best thing about living somewhere like Australia when a natural disaster like this hits is that as soon as everyone realises that everything is OK, the jokes start. Not even half an hour after the earthquake, the pictures started popping up on my Facebook wall. I even shared one of them on for my friends. This one is my favourite, so I'll share it again with you my wonderful readers.

Yes we will...

But for now I'm going to go to bed and try to get some sleep while I still have a roof over my head. Stay safe everyone and I'll be back soon I'm sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...