Friday 25 May 2012

No wonder I can't see

So I went to the optometrist yesterday for the first time in about 10 years. Given how much trouble I have seeing on a daily basis this is not a good thing. However I feel no better about my eyes after my appointment than I did before hand.

Part of the reason I left it so long between appointments is that when I was younger there was only one optometrist in town that bulk billed, and the optometrist there had terrible breath. I'm not making this up, he had disgusting breath, and having to sit there with his face inches from mine while he looked deep into my eyes and breathed his death breath in my face was always torture. It was almost a relief when his office announced that they would no longer be bulk billing their clients as I could no longer afford to get my eyes checked there. It also meant I couldn't afford to get my eyes checked anywhere else either, but I felt it was a small price to pay to avoid being breathed on by someone who obviously ate feet for lunch.

I recently discovered this is actually another optometrist in town that bulk bills, so off I trotted to get miss K's eyes checked when we first discovered that she inherited my lazy eye. Now that it has gotten to the point that I can't see well enough to drive at night, I decided to finally take the plunge and get my eyes checked again. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my new optometrist smells very nice. He is also very good at making nervous patients feel relaxed. (I always get nervous at eye appointments because I hate getting the tests wrong because it means that my glasses never work the way they should.) It wasn't all fun and games however as I discovered that on top of my lazy eye, astigmatism and two eyes that see different distances I also have ridges on my top lens. It has some long scientific sounding name, but I forgot it five minutes after he said it to me so I can't tell you exactly what it's called. No one knows yet how it is caused but it looks to be genetic which means there is a chance Miss K will also have the same problem with her eyes. It also looks like she'll need glasses by the time she's 3 to try and correct her lazy eye too. Then I found out that because the vision in my right eye is so weak, my lenses will have to be custom made which is going to cost me $400 for the lenses alone. Add another $300 for the frames I picked and I will be a grandmother by the time I've paid these bloody glasses off.

So it looks like it will be a while yet before I can see properly but given I've spent the last ten years squinting at everything in order to see it what's another few months??

Well I'm off to cook Miss K some dim sims for tea, have a good night everyone and if you live in Victoria, stay inside because this weather is bloody awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...